Running a nonprofit is hard. No question. There are needs to be met and promises to keep. Resources are stretched and getting tighter.
The safety net is no longer safe.
The Big Problem:
In 2018 due to the new tax law, Nonprofit budgets are expected to get tighter as needs rise:
- According to the Tax Policy Center the number of individual tax returns claiming deductions for charitable contributions will drop by more than 50% in 2018 as compared to 2017.
- The nonprofit group expects only 16 million filers to take advantage of the deduction in 2018 as compared to 36 million for tax year 2017.
- This is due to the raising of the standard tax deduction from $12,700 to $24,000 for joint returns and similar doubling for individual returns (WSJ Feb 14, 2018)
- Charitable contributions could drop by $13 billion, according to research by the Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy. (Washington Post 12/14/17)
- This amplifies an already existing trend towards less charitable donations. Forbes reports that overall charitable giving has declined 11% since the early 2000’s (Oct 18, 2017).
Current Nonprofit Fundraising
NPO’s – Traditional Fundraising Options:
An Indiana University School of Philanthropy study concluded that races and other special events were “the least efficient method of raising money, when you look at dollars raised vs. dollars spent.”
Special events, including fun runs, generated an average of $3.20 per $1 dollar spent organizing them. Telephone solicitations, raised almost $12 per $1 spent.
Email has the highest return on investment of any marketing channel ($40 for every dollar spent!).
These nonprofit events and solicitations still typically raise money from their usual donors.
CliniSpan Health Can Help Fundraise for Your Organization
- Each time your organization sends out one of our emails to your recipient list, the organization has the 2 opportunities to fundraise through the CSH portal.
- Your organization keeps complete control of the list and email access. CSH never finds out who is on the list.
- The email identifies as a fundraising effort for your organization with a defined amount to be raised and timeline.
- The email consists of a brief overview of the importance of that clinical trial to public health and keeping overall health care costs down
- Opportunity #1: The NPO organization is paid by how many emails it has sent out with the educational piece about the clinical trial.
- Opportunity #2: On the email, if a recipient clicks“ Do I Qualify?” and ends up at a local screening appointment for the clinical study, a larger amount would be donated to the nonprofit organization.